As the name suggests, the ECO scheme is not a typical government grant. The initiative is an obligation that has been placed on the UK’s largest gas and electricity providers – including British Gas, EDF Energy, Eon, Ovo, Scottish Power and SSE – to support households with installing energy and insulation improvements.
You too may be eligible to benefit from financial support and funding to improve your household’s energy efficiency and insulation measures.
What measures does ECO3 cover?
ECO covers a range of energy efficiency measures. The scheme covers everything from installation, new boilers, and repairs. All in all, it will help you save on your energy bills, keep your home warmer, and reduce your household’s carbon emissions.
Insulation grants are available throughout the England, Scotland, and Wales under the standard ECO criteria, including:
As a result of this scheme, 1000s of UK-households have benefitted from insulation funding.
The most common insulation measures covered by ECO3
There are quite a few insulation measures that are eligible for funding under the ECO3 scheme. By adding insulation you’ll reduce the heat escaping from your house, enjoy a cosier home, and benefit from lower heating bills.
The three most common insulation measures covered by ECO3 are:
Free Cavity Wall Insulation
Approximately a third of your heat escapes through cavity-walled houses. However, you could receive free cavity wall insulation if you meet the following eligibility criteria:
- You live in a house built before 1983
- The building has two storeys or less
- You currently do not have cavity wall insulation
Free Room In Roof Insulation
It is estimated that UK homes lose a quarter of their heat through their roof. However, by adding room in roof insulation you can easily combat this. That’s because this type of insulation traps heat inside, therefore creating a warm, upper-level living space.
You may receive free loft or room in roof insulation if:
- There’s easy access to your loft space
- Damp or water haven’t damaged your loft or attic
- Your current insulation is less than 100mm thick
Free Underfloor Insulation
Uninsulated ground level floors account for an additional 15% of your household’s heat loss. To receive free underfloor insulation through ECO3, you need to check whether:
- Your home has a suspended or solid floor
- Works comply with building regulations
- Your floors are on ground level or above an unheated room
How much am I entitled to receive from ECO3?
The amount of funding you are entitled to receive from the ECO scheme is dependent on a few factors. These can range from the extent of the improvements needed, the type of property you live in, and your carbon emissions. Additionally, you could apply for funding if you currently receive other benefits, such as child or disability benefits.
Moreover, you may also be eligible for ECO funding if you’re a social-housing tenant living in a property with an EPC rating of E, F, or G.
Do I qualify for free insulation?
To be eligible for this initiative you must either own your home or have the landlord’s permission. To clarify, this third iteration of the ECO initiative is specifically designed to support the most vulnerable people in the UK, who are unlikely to be able to afford insulation and energy improvements without support.
Likely ECO3 beneficiaries include persons who are also receiving one or more of the following benefits:
- Armed Forces Independence Payment
- Attendance Allowance
- Carer’s Allowance
- Child Benefit (if you also have a low household income)
- Constant Attendance Allowance
- Disability Living Allowance
- Pension Guarantee Credit
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
- Income Support
- Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
- Mobility Supplement
- Personal Independence Payment
- Severe Disablement Allowance
- Tax Credits (Child Tax Credits and Working Tax Credits)
- Universal Credit
In some cases, funding can cover 100% of your insulation costs. Alternatively, homeowners may need to contribute a small percentage towards the total costs, with the rest covered by the ECO initiative.
To check whether you are eligible for an ECO grant, you can contact your current energy supplier, the Energy Saving Trust, or Smartstone.
Smartstone can help you receive free insulation
Are you one of the 90 million homes in the UK entitled to funding which could cover the entire cost of insulating your home? Smartstone can help you determine your ECO3 eligibility. Moreover, we can help you receive the maximum amount of funding you’re entitled to.
Through our network of independent energy assessors, we can advise you on the most suitable insulation measures that will improve your property’s energy performance and EPC rating. We have helped UK households receive thousands in energy and insulation funding. That’s because we understand the process thoroughly and know how to fast-track your application process. We’ll handle all the fiddly paperwork and take all the headaches away.
Follow these three simple steps to benefit from ECO3 funding today.
- APPLY – Give us a call on [number] or send us an email at [address] and one of our friendly advisors will guide your through a straightforward evaluation process to check whether you qualify for ECO3 funding or any other energy saving grants currently running.
- SURVEY – Depending on the criteria you meet, we will send an independent surveyor to your home to carry out a free, no obligation home assessment survey. They will guide you on the best insulation measures for your property to reduce its energy usage.
- INSTALLATION – Once we’ve carried out the survey and submitted your ECO3 application, we’ll also help you locate a professional insulation expert from our trusted network of partners to carry out your works as soon as possible.
Applying for your ECO3 funding couldn’t be easier. Contact Smartstone today.